news
Share icon

Share

Donald Trump has cancelled his upcoming trip to Ireland

Published 19:31 11 Sept 2018 BST

Jade Hayden
Donald Trump has cancelled his upcoming trip to IrelandAdd us as a preferred source on Google »

Donald Trump has cancelled his upcoming trip to Ireland.

According to reports, the President of the United States will not be visiting Dublin and his Doonbeg resort in Co Clare this November. RTE reports that Trump was expected to visit the golf course and capital city around the weekend of November 11 coinciding with a trip to Paris. It appears that he has since cancelled the trip. https://twitter.com/CaitrionaPerry/status/1039535619788234754 Labour Senator Aodhán O Ríordáin welcomed the announcement, saying that the "outpouring of objections to the visit has had the desired effect." He said:
“Mr Trump is the face of hate, racism and division." “The mishandling (of) this entire episode by the government has certainly shone an uncomfortable light on their real attitude to the international rise of the far right and how best to challenge it."
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has yet to respond to the news. He said last week that information regarding the intended trip came "a little out of the blue."

Explore more on these topics: